And summer break has begun! It’s Par-tay time!!
We get a nearly three month break from school here, and my kids don’t think that’s enough. Bah! I have plans for you children, oh yes, I have plans! This may be the summer where chores take on a whole new level of importance!
What I love about summer break more than just about anything else, is all the time my kids play together without fighting. Don’t get me wrong…there’s plenty of fighting!! PLEEEENTY! But while they really bug eachother some of the time, they really love eachother most of the time. And it’s a favorite thing to see them find common ground and enjoy the company of their best friend/sibling(s) when they need help or a partner on these long days.
But, since even the strongest of relationships need some help along the way, and seeing as how three months can become a reeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy long time if there’s no direction, here’s a list of boredom busters to help when summer doldrums take over and this “way-too-short” break seems like it will never end:
- Read one chapter book a week
- Earn money by doing odd jobs
- Learn a new skill (cart-wheeling is one of them)
- Create a meal for the family
- Go on a scavenger hunt
- Make your own flavor of popsicle/ice cream
- Wash the dog
- Design a fort
- Bike ride
- Go fishing
- Sand castle competition!
- Nerf war
- Play one of the games in our cupboard (the goal for the summer: play each one at least once)
- Create a party and invite friends
- Rice & bean day
- Make a movie
- Skype a friend
- Write a letter
- Figure out a new song on your instrument
- Berry picking
- Bird watching
- Bug collecting.
Ok, the rest is yours to discover, kids. You have imaginations and creativity to help you along the way. Let’s go have some fun this summer.